SC LIMITED BUILDING CONTRACTOR LICENSE
PROFILE OF A LIMITED BUILDING CONTRACTOR IN SOUTH CAROLINA
A licensed South Carolina Limited Building Contractor may engage in, or propose to engage in, the construction of commercial and residential buildings up to three stories high.
PROCESS TO BECOME A LIMITED BUILDING CONTRACTOR IN SOUTH CAROLINA
Before taking the exam:
- Unlike the SC Residential Builder License, applicants for the Limited Building Contractor License must pass the Trade Exam and Commercial Business & Law exam prior to submitting application to the Contractors License Board.
- The exam, candidates must submit an exam registration form to PSI Exam Services. After approval, the candidate will receive an eligibility letter to take the exam that is good for one year.
- Administered by PSI Exam Services
- Open Book format
- 80 questions with a passing score of 70%
After passing both the trade and law exams, applicants must:
- Submit a financial statement and pay the licensing fee.
- Provide acceptable documentation proving a minimum of two years of prior experience under a licensed contractor within the past five years.
- Complete the South Carolina Code of Laws Take Home Exam, available on the board’s website. The board does not accept Surety Bonds for this license.